Sunday, April 29, 2012

The week ends with a Rainbow .. a rainbow layered cake that is!

The week ends with a rainbow! This is a layered cake I attempted for the finale of Wizard of Oz week in Hannahs class.  When her teacher asked me at the beginning of the week if I would make this cake I was so excited, I have had this cake pinned for a while and always wanted to attempt it.  So Monday afternoon I started the baking, with 6 layers that are baked seperately this cake is not for a anyone looking for a quick dessert make.  I whipped up boxes of white cake mix and added a little food gel to the mixes for the color.  Note I learned recently in my cake decorating class that gels are better to use in cake mixes over the liquid food coloring you use since that can change the consistency of the cake mix.  So Thursday I started to put the layers together and this makes a tall cake each layer has icing piped in and around the edges to hold it together then it came time for icing.  I iced this cake several times and then removed the icing because I didnt like what I did and wasnt hapy finally I just spread the icing around and left it that way. It took 3 lbs of confectioner sugar to make all the icing needed for this cake and it was quite a task. 

The kids loved it!!! They had to guess what was inside the cake before we sliced it and they could of cared less about the icing job they were more excited to get 6 colored layers and they did inform me that I left out the indigo layer, you can always count on 1st graders to point out any mistakes :) It was fun to make just alot of work.




No comments:

Post a Comment